I’ve been following with great interest Ole Begemann’s research into remote view controllers in iOS6. I wanted to look at the problem from the other end. I want to make my own remote view controllers. Clearly, we’ll be using private APIs and therefore, none of this can make it into your apps for the store. I’ll say up front I was not able to get this working, but I’ve found some interesting things out.
Have you ever been in the situation where all of a sudden Xcode no longer finds certain header files in your project. Another symptom is a project that builds, but there are header import errors when you open a file. You’ve cleared derived data. You’ve checked your paths. You’ve said 10 Hail Marys. Yes, we’ve all been there. Last time this happened - today - I did try an old trick.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
When you run the above you’ll get an error stating that Object #<C> has no method ‘foo’. The Java type system also has covariant arrays, but would prevent the assignment on line 11 at runtime:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I was poking around in the iOS6 private frameworks over the weekend and found some interesting battery related stuff. I’ve put together a quick and dirty app which displays most of the interesting stuff. You can get it on github here. Being ever so fashionable I only support iOS6. Plus, it doesn’t work on iOS5!
After many months of hard work Zeebox has finally launched in the US. This coincides with a new UK release too. We’ve added a load of great new features including a What’s Hot section, an activity feed to see what you’re friends have been doing, and a great new commenting system. Electric Labs has been working with Zeebox since July last year - how time flies! You can grab the UK version here and the US version here.
Last Friday I went to the Facebook London Hack 2012 with Matt, Michael, Will and Steve. Matt’s written a nice explanation of what we did on his blog. In a nutshell we made a Silent Disco Flashmob app called Flash Dance. We had a great time, met lots of cool people and worked in a camper van tent. Even better, we won best overall hack!
There was a great discussion on Radio 4 last week about freeing up National Rail Enquires (NRE) departure board data for developers to use. There were some great points made by both sides. But the whole thing was quite black and white and didn’t really go into the more delicate and interesting issues. I often find in these discussions that people conflate a feed being publicly available and having permission to use that feed. They also conflate a feed with static data. Nonetheless, it’s great to have these discussions out in the open in a civilised and constructive manner.
Here are some statistics for the year 2010 relating to me. Probably not that interesting, but here you go.
My primary domain is lyonanderson.com. Most of my correspondence is via this account. I don’t include my work email here. At work we recently moved to Lotus Notes so I suppose I no longer send email at work; we’ve to call them ‘notes’ instead. I don’t have any stats for that. I would imagine given the complexity of reading
emails notes with Lotus Notes getting statistics would almost be impossible.
Sent ~1400 messages (lyonanderson.com)
Received ~6000 messages (lyonanderson.com)
(The lower graph includes previous years, but I thought it was interesting to see how my email traffic is increasing year on year).